Maine Historical Society header
Maine Historical Society header

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title William Henry Furness document set
Date 1876 June 7 [letter].
Description 1 item - 2 leaf pamphlet with letter.
People Furness, William Henry, 1802-1896
Search Terms Clergy
Harvard University
Scope & Content William Henry Furness document set. 1 item - 2 leaf pamphlet with letter.

1876, June 7, Philadelphia, to Mrs Gannett, [no address]; very hot in Philadelphia, so Mrs. Gannett's father doesn't have to preach next Sunday.

No engraving included in document set.

William Henry Furness, 1802-1896, clergyman, born in Boston, Massachusetts, 20 April 1802. He was graduated at Harvard in 1820, and completed his theological studies at Cambridge in 1823. In January 1825, he was ordained pastor of the 1st Congregational Unitarian Church in Philadelphia, where he remained until he retired from the ministry, in 1875. He received the degree of D. D. from Harvard in 1847, and that of Doctor of Letters from Columbia at its centennial anniversary in 1887. The theological position of Dr. Furness was peculiar, belonging as he did to the extreme humanitarian school, as distinguished from that of Canning, Peabody, and Norton. He accepted, for the most part, the miraculous facts of the New Testament, yet accounted for them by the moral and spiritual forces resulting from the preeminent character of the Saviour, who, in his view was an exalted form of humanity. One of his constant labors as a preacher and an author was to ascertain the historical truth and develop the spiritual ideas of the records of the life of Christ.
Admin/Biographical History John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.