|Title||John Dickinson document set|
|Date||1786 September 14 [letter]; 1888? [engraving: portrait]; 1871 [engraving: landscape]|
|Description||1 item - 3 leaf pamphlet with letter and two engravings|
Dickinson, John, 1732-1808
Rosenthal, Albert, 1875-1881
Peale, Charles Willson, 1741-1827
|Scope & Content||
John Dickinson document set: 3 leaf pamphlet with four page letter and two engravings, a portrait and an engraving of Annapolis.
A.L.S., 1786 September 14, Annapolis. Document of the Annapolis Convention. Addressed "To the honorable the legislatures of Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York." For typescript of letter, see the College of Law, University of Oklahoma.
John Dickinson portrait engraving by Albert Rosenthal. "Etched by Albert Rosenthal, Phila. 1888 after a painting by C.W. Peale. John Dickinson. Nat. 1732-Ob. 1808. From the original painting in Independence Hall, Phila."
Addtional engraving: View of Annapolis in 1797 ("Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1871 by Chase & Town in the office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington").
John Dickinson (1732-1808): Born 8 November 1732 in Talbot County, Province of Maryland, British America; died 14 February 1808 in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.; buried at Friends Burial Ground, Wilmington. Chairman of and delegate to the Annapolis Convention. Served in the Continental Congress for four years, governor of Pennsylvania for four years, and Governor of Delaware for one year.
|Admin/Biographical History||John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.|