Maine Historical Society header
Maine Historical Society header

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title James Schureman document set
Date 1818 January 20 [letter]
Description 1 item - 2 leaf pamphlet with letter.
People Schureman, James, 1756-1824

Crowninshield, Benjamin Williams, 1773-1851
Search Terms United States Navy

New Jersey

Continental Congress


House of Representatives

Scope & Content James Schureman document set. 1 item - 2 leaf pamphlet with letter.

Letter to the Honorable Benjamin Crowninshield, Esq., Secretary of the Navy of the United States, endorsing the appointment of Mr. Samuel S. Coejerman as midshipman, and signed by seven citizens of New Brunswick, New Jersey.

James Schureman, (1756-1824) Born in New Jersey, 1756. Mayor; Delegate to Continental Congress from New Jersey; U.S. Representative from New Jersey, 1789-91, 1797-99, 1813-15 (at-large 1789-91, 1797-99, 2nd District 1813-15); U.S. Senator from New Jersey, 1799-1801. Died in 1824. Interment at First Reformed Church Cemetery, New Brunswick, N.J.

Benjamin Williams Crowninshield, (1773-1851) Brother of Jacob Crowninshield; grandfather-in-law of John Quincy Adams; great-grandfather of Charles Francis Adams. Born in Salem, Essex County, Mass., December 29, 1773. Democrat. Member of Massachusetts state house of representatives, 1811; member of Massachusetts state senate, 1812; U.S. Secretary of the Navy, 1815-18; U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 2nd District, 1823-31. Died February 3, 1851. Interment at Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Mass.

No engraving in this document set
Admin/Biographical History John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.