|Title||James Clinton document set|
|Date||1779 June 24 [letter]|
|Description||1 item - 4 leaf pamphlet with letter and 2 engravings.|
Clinton, James, 1736-1812
Hall, Henry Bryan, 1808-1884
|Scope & Content||
James Clinton document set. 1 item - 4 leaf pamphlet with letter and 2 engravings.
A.L.S., 1779, June 24, Headquarters Camp Conajohary Creek, New York, to Thomas Sickles, ADU.M. Gen'l, Albany; requests additional ammunition with all possible speed, also paper twine, oil cloths, drums and fifes.
James Clinton portrait engravings. Two steel engravings with artists names; first is a profile by H.B. Hall, from [some publication] Vol. II, p. 224, New York: C.P. Putnam. Inscribed with block letters "GEN. JAMES CLINTON." Second engraving is by Knapp, Peck, and Thompson, Auburn, N.Y. Inscribed with facsimile of signature, "James Clinton, B. Gen'l."
James Clinton (1736-1812): Born 9 August 1736 in Little Britain, Orange County, New York; died 22 December 1812 in Little Britain, Orange County, New York; original interment at Clinton Cemetery, Little Britain, New York; reinterment in 1879 at Woodlawn Cemetery, New Windsor, New York. General in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War; member of New York state assembly from Ulster County, 1787-88; member of New York state senate Middle District, 1788-92; delegate to New York state constitutional convention, 1801.
Possibly Thomas Sickles, of Albany County, N.Y. Member of New York state assembly from Albany County, 1786-88.
|Admin/Biographical History||John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.|