|Title||Nathaniel Greene document set|
|Date||1784 March 25 [letter]; n.d. [engraving]; n.d. [engraving].|
|Description||1 item - 4 leaf pamphlet with letter and engraving.|
Greene, Nathaniel, 1742-1786
Longacre, James Barton, 1794-1869
Bounetheau, Henry Brintnell, 1797-1877
Norman, John, 1748?-1817
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
|Scope & Content||
Nathaniel Greene document set. 1 item - 4 leaf pamphlet with letter and engraving.
A.L.S., 1784, March 25, Newport [Rhode Island], to "Dear General," [no address]; letter expressing affection to the addressee and stating Greene's decision to retire from public life.
Nathaniel Greene engravings. First engraving is a full-length portrait; on a flag by Greene's feet is written, "Presented by Congress Oct.r 29th 1781," and on a cannon by his feet is written, "In Congress 18 October 1783." Below in block letters: "NATHANIEL GREENE." Beneath that is inscribed "Major General of teh Armies of the United States of America In the War of the Revolution." Underneath that is written "Engraved by J.B. Longacre, from a drawing by H. Bounetheau." Second engraving is a bust portrait with an army scene underneath. Below the engraving is: "His Ex.cy Nathaniel Greene Esq; - Major General of the American Army." Just beneath that inscription is written "J. Norman Sc."
Nathaniel Greene (1742-1786): Born 7 August 1742 in Porowomut, Warwick, Rhode Island, British America: died 19 June 1786, Mulberry Grove Plantaton, Chatham County, Georgia. An iron founder, he served (1770-72, 1775) in the Rhode Island assembly.
|Admin/Biographical History||John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.|