|Title||John Glover document set|
|Date||1779 August 1 [letter]; n.d. [engraving].|
|Description||1 item - 3 leaf pamphlet with letter.|
Glover, John, 1732-1797
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
|Scope & Content||
John Glover document set. 1 item - 3 leaf pamphlet with letter.
A.L.S., 1779, August 1, Ridgefield [CT], to "Dear Cal," no address; speculation on the strategic intentions of the British forces to strike toward Philadelphia or East to Charlestown.
John Glover, soldier, born in Salem, Massachusetts, 5 November, 1732; died in Marblehead, Massachusetts, 30 January 1797. At the beginning of the Revolution he raised 1,000 men and joined the army at Cambridge, where he was of great service in organizing and disciplining troops. He commanded the 21st regiment, afterward the 14th, which was one of the first, as well as the best, in the continental army. Being composed almost entirely of fishermen, it was called the "amphibious regiment." On the retreat from Long Island it manned the boats and crossed the entire army in safety. These troops also manned the boats and led the advance over the Delaware on the night before the victory at Trenton. Colonel Glover participated in the battle of Stillwater, and was with Washington at Valley Forge. He was appointed brigadier-general on 21 February, 1777, and in July of that year joined General Schuyler. He served in the campaign against Burgoyne, and conducted the prisoners to Cambridge. In 1778 he joined Greene's division in New Jersey, signed the protest against D'Estaing, and was detached to Rhode Island under Sullivan. He was ordered to Massachusetts in 1780 to superintend the drafts from that state. He was a member of the court of inquiry concerning Major And%, which assembled on 29 September, 1780. Glover was diminutive in person, active and energetic, and possessed considerable military ability.
|Admin/Biographical History||John S. H. Fogg, compiler of this collection, born in Eliot, Maine. Graduated from Bowdoin College in 1846, earned a degree in medicine from Harvard College in 1850 and established his practice in South Boston, Massachusetts. While a student at Bowdoin, Dr. Fogg developed a lifelong interest in collecting autograph letters and documents, particularly those relating to the history of the United States. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair in 1873, Fogg gave undivided attention to building his magnificent collection. Beginning in 1875, he had completed the task by 1881.|